International Women's Day

I guess you could say I'm an International Woman. I'm the product of two grandmothers who lived on opposite sides of the world. They were opposites in almost every way, and they shaped who I am from within.

Firstly, the smiling, bead wearing, white haired energetic one. She saw little of the world. Her whole 96 years were lived in a very small part of the world. She never travelled on a plane. Her train rides were never more than 200 kilometres. Her car rides the same. A couple of bus rides did take her almost 400 kilometres. She worked, she married, and she had 3 children. Her sisters and brothers were her best friends and always lived nearby. 
Her first son was stillborn, but she always talked of him with love and never bitterness. She was so loved by her family, friends, and it seemed sometimes by people she had just met. There was only ever a bright side, and an attitude of get up and go.
Wise, funny, stylish and cheeky. I spoke to her at least once a week until she was on her death bed. I stayed with her the night before I got married. She was one of my dearest friends and even 27 years after her death I look to her for wisdom and inspiration.
I loved her dearly.


Then there is the cat loving, pensive face with years of life etched on her face. She saw a lot of Europe, and at its worst. She lived in three countries and had family in many more. I'm not sure romance was the cause of her marriage or safety. There were 4 children, and one died in her teens. One suffered and was never quite the same, although she lived to old age. Her sons she didn't know where they were for many years due to war. Her baby she last saw when he was 20. 
Yet I don't see bitterness on her face, simply a mind that is so busy stretching out to it's very widest boundaries searching for a connection to those she had loved and lost.
She takes comfort in her cat who leans into her for comfort. The two are as one. 
I see her hands and I see mine, they are the same.
Wise, spiritual, classic and intellectual. 
I never met her. She died 6 months before I was born, in another country. She was awarded an international medal for saving two women during the second world war. I never met her, and she died 57 years ago, and yet I look to her for wisdom and inspiration.
I loved her dearly.


These two grandmothers were so different to one another. They never met. Their children married each other. When the smiler died, her son-in-law said he was the luckiest man on earth because God gave him two mothers. That's not what the stereotypical mother-in-law jokes show is it? It would be interesting to know what the serious one would have thought of her daughter-in-law. 

I feel I am a combination of these two amazing women. I smile, cook, joke, have energy and I get to see my family growing and being happy. I have had sadness but I don't dwell on it, and I can move forward. Yet I sit and contemplate the past and think of those who aren't near me too.  I love cats too by the way.

These two women worked for their communities in different ways. From baking, crafts and committees to risking their lives to save others. Different places, countries and experiences. I believe very deeply they would have loved each other. They would have had respect and admiration. In different times they would have been great friends. They would have loved their shared grandchild too. I feel that deeply.

I am that grandchild. I love my grandmothers and I honour them today on International Women's Day.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduation Day

40 years

My Uncle